Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

poverty simulation...

so some of you know that kyle and i took about 16 of our youth to mission waco to do poverty simulation.  now...i did this about six years ago and it was a life changing experience that frankly, i never wanted to do again.  i'm not allowed to give details, but basically, you  are poor for the entire weekend.  we are talking extreme discomfort and who likes being uncomfortable?  not this girl :)  anyway, i wasn't supposed to go but kyle couldn't get any female sponsors.  i quickly told him, "sorry....who would take the kids?".  he quickly responded, "i'm sure that my parents wouldn't mind keeping them for the weekend.  and of course....they were gracious enough to keep the kids.  so, i reluctantly agreed to go again.  

well, as with most things, God had a reason for me to be there.  God reopened my eyes to the plight of the poor and my responsibility as a Christian.  Matthew 25 tells us,

"I was hungry and you fed me,
I was thirsty and you gave me a drink,
I was homeless and you gave me a room,
I was shivering and you gave me clothes,
I was sick and you stopped to visit,
I was in prison and you came to me."

"Then they will say, Master, what are you talking about?  When did we ever see you hungry and feed you, thirsty and give you a drink?  And when did we ever see you sick or in prison and come to you?  Then the King will say, " I'm telling you the solemn truth:  Whenever you did one of these things to someone overlooked or ignored, that was me--you did it to me"  (The Message)

I think as Christians...at least in my world...I get so caught up in the day to day that I'm not mindful that I'm surrounded by hurting people.  People who are physically, emotionally, mentally and spiritually poor surround us and we go about our lives as if it isn't our responsibility.  We need to wake up....because it is!!!!!!!!!  That is what God reminded me last weekend and I'm so thankful!  

We were challenged to truly seek what breaks the heart of God. .......poverty, injustice and apathy...........these are the things that break our Father's heart.  I'm praying that God will help me to "get it".  

Now...my challenge to you is......go look for Jesus.......................He is everywhere and sometimes in the most unexpected places!  




1 comment:

Dimple Queen said...

WOW....Carlton has been hearing about this thing in Waco...he has wanted to do it and to take some kids.....how do the kids respond? Is it safe for them? Well I would assume so since you all have taken youth.....duh....how have you all's parents been with it?

Lots of questions!!

Ang